Studies of media viewing habits reveal that a third of the audience will be distracted from what they are watching within 20 seconds. Within 60 seconds, half the audience is gone. Studies of attention span reveal a decline in the average adult’s length of focused attention from 12 seconds in the year 2000 to 8 seconds in 2013 – shorter than the 9 seconds mustered by the comparatively contemplative goldfish! No matter how you measure it, our culture of rapid fire messages, constant distraction and increasing competition for attention puts pressure on anyone trying to tell their story.
At 20SecondStory, we help you respond to this pressure by showing you how to use the essential building blocks of your story to convey a memorable and actionable message to your audience in a very short amount of time. Next, we show you how to reuse those building blocks to tailor your message to be relevant to different types of audiences. Finally, we give you the tools to teach others to reliably tell your story on your behalf, so that your customers, partners, employees and colleagues can spread your word accurately and effectively. Let’s look at some of the ways we can help:
- Are you starting a business? We can help you clearly define your value proposition to your new market, and build a distinct identity that potential customers will remember.
- Looking for a new job or trying to change careers? We can help you differentiate yourself from other job seekers and connect your unique capabilities to the needs of hiring managers.
- Trying to change your company’s culture? We can help your organization leverage the language it is already using to become the best and most authentic version of itself.
- Trying to reach a new customer segment? We can help you find the words and images that speak most clearly to your new audience, so you present your value in language that your new customers understand.
- Launching a new product? We can help you find the right way to introduce your offering to its potential market, and ensure that its packaging, presentation and marketing help it leave the right first impression with customers, reviewers and resellers.
- Made a mistake? We can help you rebuild your reputation, and use the power of storytelling to revitalize your organization so that the mistake doesn’t happen again.
We offer an array of services tailored to the scope and complexity of your storytelling challenges. Our storytelling experts, who bring decades of experience in sales and marketing with some of the world’s most successful companies, along with strong academic backgrounds in anthropology and psychology, are available for hourly consultations and coaching sessions with individuals looking to energize their personal stories. For small businesses, we offer single- or multi-day workshops and education sessions suited to the needs of your team. For larger firms, we use a value-based consultative approach, with fixed price engagements structured around your specific business goals. We also offer self-service tools to enable you to develop and refine your story on your own using our proven methodology.
Since we are not a marketing or advertising agency, we will not simply create a catchy story and leave you on your own to make it work. We partner with you through the lifecycle of the story to ensure that it is tested, embedded in your team’s culture and behavior, and reflected in all of the materials you create, to ensure the realization of measurable outcomes.
We’ve worked with individuals, small businesses and Fortune 100 companies in many industries to empower them to build and rebuild their stories for new circumstances, new audiences, and the new world of increasingly short attention spans. If you’d like to get started, reach out for an initial conversation – we’re eager to hear your story, and to help you tell it better.